About the PTA
Mistral's Parent Teacher Association (PTA) is a non-profit organization funded entirely by the community that helps support community-building and student enrichment at Gabriela Mistral Elementary School. We are part of the larger National Parent Teacher Association, a non-profit organization that is the largest and oldest volunteer organization working exclusively on behalf of children and youth. We are fortunate to have an active and engaged PTA at Mistral which sponsors a large number of programs and events designed to cultivate community-building and provide students and families enriching learning opportunities. The primary PTA activities are:
- Fundraising – With the changes and inconsistencies in public school funding, PTAs across the state have over the last two decades stepped up to raise funds for important school programs. The PTA at Gabriela Mistral is no exception. We plan to raise over $90,000 this year.
- Support for Bilingual Education – Although we are a dual-immersion school, we do not receive additional funds to purchase materials suitable for bilingual education. PTA funds also subsidize additional bilingual staff in the classrooms, including Kindergarten classroom aides.
- Field Trips – We aim for each student to go on at least three field trips a year: one oriented toward science, one toward performing arts, and one toward social or civic studies.
- School Library – We provide funds for our librarian to purchase books for the school library. Castro/Mistral enjoys one of the best elementary school libraries in the district.
- Afterschool Enrichment Program – Mistral and Castro enjoy one of the most comprehensive afterschool programs in the district, which is completely organized by parents.
- Project Cornerstone – Project Cornerstone helps bring focus to the whole child by teaching students about communication, conflict resolution and self-esteem. Parent volunteers read children’s books as well as lead classroom activities and discussions on a monthly basis designed to help children with empowerment, boundaries and expectations, positive values, social competencies, and positive identity.
- Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) – The STEM Committee of the PTA aims to narrow the digital divide and extend a love for science and technology to all kids at Mistral.
- Community Building – The PTA sponsors several fun community-building events throughout the year including grade level potlucks, Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) and the annual ice skating party.
- Room Parent Program – Each classroom has 1-2 ‘Room Parents’ who support the teacher and help facilitate communication with parents.
- Outdoor Learning – Mistral and Castro have two beautiful parent-maintained gardens where students can connect to the earth and get their hands dirty.
All parents at Mistral should join the PTA and be involved in making a difference in their child's educational experience. Learn more about parent participation opportunities.